Thursday, September 18, 2008

Have You Ever Asked, "Why?"

Have you ever asked “Why”?

Of course you have. The words may not have come out of our mouths, but we have asked that question, as hard as it is to admit. “Why,” why did this or that happen? Why did my baby die so young? Why did I lose my job? Why are gas prices so high? Why doesn’t God do something about it? Why, why, why??

The 20th of September is a big day for our family. It is the day our little granddaughter came into this world. The “why” is, "Why did she have to come at 24 weeks and experience the difficulties she had to endure?" She never came home from the hospital. She was taken to Vanderbilt from Huntsville Hospital, which has a fine medical NICU, I would have you know. We were treated so wonderfully there and they deserve your support. We wanted her to live, but she didn’t. After nearly six months, she passed from this life into the very presence of God; whole and not hurting, and we will see her healthy for the first time when we get there ourselves.

Is it wrong to ask, “Why?” When John was in prison in John 4 he asked for messengers to go and ask Jesus if He was the One, or if should they look for another. Obviously, being in prison and Jesus experiencing His own problems with the Pharisees, John wanted some assurance. Basically, he was asking, “Why?” Why did Adam and Eve sin and send us on this downward-spiraling situation that seems hopeless at times?

Let me give you the good news -- I can’t stand the negative anymore:
  • "He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." (1 John 4:4, NKJV)
  • "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37, NKJV)
  • "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20, NKJV)
When we celebrate the life of little “Tori” Wilhoit on Saturday, we will not be sad. I refuse to give into the thoughts of death and denial. We are looking for a better day and it is coming in the near future (John 14:1-6) He is coming, just keep looking up!

A little girl was missing from the presence of her parents, so they went upstairs and found her kneeling at her window with it opened and a suitcase packed full of clothes beside it. They were bewildered and they said to her, "Honey, what are you doing?" She said, "Well, I heard you talking about Jesus coming and that He is coming very, very soon so I wanted to be ready when He came." That is exactly how the believer must live. We may not have all the answers, but we know the One who does. We may have tough days now, but the Bible says, "Joy comes in the morning." There are going to be the tough times, but I'd rather be on His team when it looks like we are losing than to be on the devil's team knowing he is going to lose.