Thursday, September 25, 2008

Take your medicine as prescribed…

I was reading an article in the September issue of Reader's Digest and a study concluded that nearly 30 % of us stop taking our medicines before we should. Playing Doctor can be dangerous. The article is exactly right in that we need to follow our prescribed medicine plan. Unless it causes us a reaction negatively, we should follow the prescribed course.

When I look at this Biblically it is important that the Christian take their spiritual medicine appropriately. So what is the spiritual prescription God gives Christians? I am so glad you asked.
  1. Seek Him with all your heart -- Matthew 6:33. Seeking His will, seeking to know Him intimately by having a love relationship with Him; that is Biblical.
  2. Pray regularly -- 1 Thessalonians 5:17. The Bible actually says “Pray without ceasing.” I told a college age group I was speaking to recently that I had a real problem following through with praying without ceasing. One young lady said to me at the next meeting, “Pastor, see how I pray for you?” She had written my name on her sandal so every time she took her sandals on and off she would pray for me. What a wonderful idea! God knows I need all I can get, any way I can get it.
  3. Fall in love with His Love letter to us, the Bible. The Bible is what we must stand firm on. A few things about the Bible. It is:
  • Reliable
  • Readable
  • The authority for our Faith and Practice
  • The inerrant Word of God, we have God’s Word to us in the Bible.
  • It is corrective. Hebrews 4:12 It is good to read nice verses about love, joy and hope. But there is also correctiveness in the Bible.
  • It is applicable to today’s Christian
  • It is powerful
  • It gets to the heart and soul of the matter and a person.
The Prescription: the Bible should be taken daily and followed accordingly. It should be trusted to heal the spiritual dilemma of mankind. A steady diet of the Bible will produce a Christ likeness that is what He wants.

Come and hear and listen to the Word of God taught from the pulpit ministry of Pastor, Dr. Lee Singley, each and every Sunday at 9:30 or 11 am. God Bless!