Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Are You Ready for Some Football?

I am sure you are well aware by now that I enjoy watching college football. The rivalries and the atmosphere of cheering for your favorite college team is second to none. I have always loved any kind of football even the NFL but the outrageous salaries and the off field shenanigans has made it not what it used to be for me anyway. There are some "purists" still playing in the NFL but so many are attracted to the fame, attention and money. While College is still somewhat protected it is good to see young people disciplining themselves and preparing their bodies to out muscle out wit or out score their opponent ultimately to be the best they can be.

It is unique how so many people get so involved in a football game and forget some of their actions are questionable at times. Compare football, even college football to the excuses you hear why people don't come to church. For example:

· Every time you go they ask you for money.

· The people who sat near and around you weren't that friendly and you hardly knew them.

· The seats were too hard and not very comfortable.

· The coach never came by to speak to me.

· The referee made some decision I could not agree with.

· I was sitting with some hypocrites- they came only to see what others were wearing to the game.

· Some games went into overtime, and I was late getting home.

· The games are scheduled when I want to do other things.

· My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.

· Since I read this book on sports, I feel I could coach as good as those coaches we have.

· I don't want to take my children, because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.

· The parking was awful… I had to walk six blocks to the stadium.

· Nobody came up and introduced himself to me …very impersonal, and too loud.

· It's always too loud and people are always standing up and not letting me see the game.

· It's always too hot or too cold in the stadium.

Should I keep going or does that about say it all? What if we took on our church responsibilities as serious, the same way we attend and root for our favorite team, hobby or other activities we are involved in. I spoke to the Youth last night and challenged them to be sold out to Christ and live a dedicated, consecrated, all out Christ like life. We have lowered our standard of living to accommodate and go along and get along to get many times more numbers and I'm all about reaching more, but not at the cost of consecrated living.

Jesus didn't prick His finger and have blood drawn for our sins, He went all out because He loved us that much. What drives us to our consecrated living, "Love for Jesus."

No comments: