Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Keeping Things Light-Hearted

We live in a day when, if we knew all the facts, "stress" is probably the number one health threat to the American citizen. Proverbs tells us, "Laughter is like a medicine," that means it is good for you. I am the worlds worst at being lighthearted. I know I tell some great jokes when I am preaching , Ha Ha. But really I am a usually more serious minded person and always have been. I love it when people send me emails and humorous stories. I love reading Readers Digest humor sections although I let my subscription run out because that was all I seem to be reading. The fact is we don't laugh and we don't let ourselves laugh enough. We put at the top of our mind and prioritize all the negative, difficult, problematic things we deal with or worry about what we might have to deal with when life is dealing us new problems every day.

Now don't misunderstand me, I am in no way suggesting we "laugh off" our problems or situations we deal with. But if you had known me years ago you would have seen a worrier, a stone faced serious , seemingly unhappy , Pastor. I internalized things much worse than I even do still yet today. You know what that is called, not believing and following Proverbs 3:5-6. It says some positive things to do to keep a sweet and congenial spirit at all times.

  • Trust in God- Hey, my problems are His problems as my Father.
  • Trust whole heartedly- Don't try and fake trusting because everyone knows when we are faking a smile or whatever.
  • Don't prop yourself up with your own reasoning- I think I have a wealth of experience to give and I do, but I also have a bunch of baggage that if left unclaimed will drag me down. Leave your baggage with the Lord.
  • My understanding- My understanding is based on my limited knowledge, experience and leaves out the supernatural; act of almighty God. Someone was doing a heroic, great thing the other day, and they will be doing it for a long time to come. Without any complaining whatsoever. God saw their need and sent someone to help carry their load. I was able to just sit back and watch God do something just because He through the Holy Spirit used someone else that He talked to, to bless a faithful servant. Don't get me started because I could start preaching now.
  • In All- well, I am so thankful God put this in the Bible, there is nothing too big for God if He said "all". Had He said take your needs for today or take your physical problems to me every night and I will see what I can do then we could not have so much hope but God said the faithful, obedient, trusting servant and child of His has to give him all things to handle for us.
  • Ways- I have a bunch of things that sometimes I don't think I need to bother God with and if my children did that it would make me mad and frustrated that they didn't come to me with a need. I wonder what God is saying when we categorize what we take to Him and what we think we can handle ourselves. We need rain desperately, when you come to church on Sunday get ready because we are going to cry out to God for rain, make sure you bring your umbrella.
  • Acknowledge- "yada" in the Hebrew and it means assuredly acknowledge God.
  • Him- not our abilities or our gifts but acknowledge Him. It is time we as God's church start not just be spectators but start actively engaging the Word of God and making it a apart of all that we do and are.
  • Direct our paths- We have done some camping over the years and done some hiking on trails. We got lost or turned around once and it sure would have been nice to have God say turn here, take a left here and stop here and go right. When spiritually He is wanting to do that very thing for us each day of our lives.
Laugh and think of something that brings a smile to your face. Want one of my jokes? Okay, I'm glad you asked. I received this one this week form a member. A father and son were shopping and doing their best to get everything on the list that obviously the wife and Mom had given them to pick up. They were in the frozen food section when someone overheard the Dad say to the son, "You know, if we really mess this up, We'll never have to do this again". Have a great day.

No comments: