Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Live to Be 100

It is very rare that someone lives to be a 100 or more but there are a small percentage of our populace that have graced the century mark. I would hope that if God gave me the grace to live that long I would be able to fend for myself at least, that would be my prayer. The other side of the equation is no one is going to live life as we know it forever.

There is coming an end to this life and each person will live forever somewhere -- II Cor. 5:8. We work at living longer and longer. We take medicines and vitamins and exercise more and more to gain a few more days of life. I don't know about you but the thot of being with the Lord and not having the things of this world to bring us down is sounding better all the time. However, it is a thing only the Lord knows regarding our time to live and our time to die -- Hebrews 9:27.

An irate subscriber stormed into a newspaper office waving the current edition, asking to see "whomever wrote the obituary column." When referred to a young reporter, he yelled, "You can see I am very much alive, and you've put me in the obituary column. I demand a retraction."

Replied the reporter, "I never retract a story. But I tell you what I'll do. I'll put you in the birth column tomorrow and give you a fresh start."

The only fresh start that we as believers can ever hope to receive is the new life found in Jesus. Even then there are times in this world that we are drug down with so many encumbrances it is difficult to continue on at breakneck speed.

When a grandmother was in her late eighties she decided to move to Israel. As part of the preparations she went to see the doctor and he gave her a clean bill of health and all her charts. The doctor asked her how she was doing, so she gave him a litany of complaints, this hurts, that's stiff, I'm tired, slower, etc.. He responded, "Mrs. Siegel you have to expect things to start deteriorating. After all, who wants to live to be 100?" The grandmother looked him straight in the eye and replied, "Anyone who's 99."

No comments: