Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Real Hero's

I was scanning through my favorite "Preachers" magazine the other day, simply entitled "Preaching". Like sports fanatics and "HGTV" nature lovers, we Pastor's have our favorite magazines suited just for us, to help keep us informed and on the cutting edge of new ideas etc.

On my journey through each page I discovered a unique central message that if not intentional, very subliminally came through loud and clear. There was the same general theme throughout. IN conference advertisements, Christian cruises, Gospel singing concerts, universities without fail, every announcement had the pictures of the speakers, the singers and the school presidents highlighted like Christian superstars. Every famous preacher you could imagine was highlighted.

I had never noticed it to the extreme and extent I noticed it this time through. I then "thot" about our own church newsletter and there too you will see the pictures of myself and our staff and my lovely wife is featured with me.

Let's be honest and clear. I really don't believe there is a selfish and prideful; motive in any of the advertisements. I know there is none on our part and our Church newsletter. In fact, it is difficult to get people to feel like their picture is worth a thousand words and agree to have it published. Usually, even my wife and I included, we are not happy at all with something in our picture whether it be our appearance or whatever the reason. You know, things like gray hair, a big nose or no hair at all, whatever it might be we usually hate to see ourselves pictured with all these flaws. But pictures help increase the likelihood a person wanting to purchase a book or attend a conference will do so if we put our pictures out there for all to see. "Look at me, I'm smiling, happy and successful, come to my conference and you can be too".

Once again, only each person knows their own hearts and motives, but i wonder how much is done out of pride and a desire to see ourselves in limelight. I sincerely said something to someone the other day that I mean with all my heart. Whether we have 30 or 700 people or 3000 people in our church , God help me to love people, preach the Word and don't quit. Never succomb to the flesh and remaindifferent in mind and body.

I remember seeing one speaker I won't mention, who is a dynamic and wonderful preacher. When he first came to the church I was Pastor of, over 20 years ago. He came for a generous love offering we would receive at each service . That's the problem wtih love offerings there is a little offering and alot of love. Every speaker and Pastor deserves to be compensated. Every waitress is worthy and deserves fairness when it comes to their tip. Every worker is worthy of his effort. But this same speaker today when I called and asked about his coming, he said" well you know things are different now and I can't come for less than 1500. I looked at his picture in the magazine. When I looked at his picture in the magazine I honestly prayed for him. That God would bless Him his ministry opportunities, his family and that he would bless all his other ministry opportunities , for his family . I pray for his family that he would be strong and holy and not ever succumb to temptation.

I remember hearing the story of a famous popular Revivalists hearing the story told of a famous preacher and revivalists . He had seen over 1000"s and he was a popular revivalists. He He had seen 1000's in his meeting He had seen 1000's in his meetings and hundreds saved at each . God truly had his hand an his life he was holy and climbing the denominational ladder.In my opinion he was succumbing to the temptation to not live holy in Christ Jesus.

I remember hearing the story told of a famous and popular Revivalists. He had seen thousands at his meetings . God truly had his hand upon him and one town he was holding a meeting and through out town there were billboards that said "so and so" is coming to town. The blessings seemed to be empty this week though, no one came forward . He was curious as to the reason, then he discovered large bill boards with his picture and announcing his arrival. There is your problem you have lifted up a man and not the Lord God.